A new edition of the big Filmfest München is here to offer international and German premieres, the best auteur cinema and also series. As every year, the festival will host some of the best film stars, directors, and other characters of the film industry. In this edition, the actress and screenwriter Emma Thompson and the film director Terry Gilliam will be on the red carpet receiving the CineMerit award.
The last Gilliam’s film, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, will be screened at the CineMerit gala on 2nd of July.
As every year they will offer Open Air film series during the festival. This year, the motto of this series is “Rocky and friends” showing films about boxing for free.
Here is the schedule for this section of the festival:
- Rocky (John G. Avildsen, 1976) on Friday, June 29 at 10 p.m.
- Kid Galahad (Phil Karlson, 1962) on Saturday, June 30 at 10 p.m.
- Girlfight (Karyn Kusama, 2000) on Sunday, July 1 at 10 p.m.
- Requiem for a Heavyweight (Ralph Nelson, 1962) on Monday, July 2 at 10 p.m.
- The Bleeder (Philippe Falardeau, 2016) on Tuesday, July 3 at 10 p.m.
- Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980) on Wednesday, July 4 at 10 p.m.
- The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki (Juho Kuosmanen, 2016) on Thursday, July 5 at 10 p.m.
- Creed (Ryan Coogler, 2015) on Friday, July 6 at 10 p.m.
They have also a section for the youngest members of the family, called Kinderfilmfest. This year, the films showed in this section are focused on animal realm and humanity. Some of the highlights of this section are the film “Mary and the Witch’s Flower” of Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who had worked in the famous Studio Ghibli, or “Girl in Flight”, a film about two different characters that have a lot in common.
There is space for international and German TV series and movies on the sections New German TV Movies, New German Series and Series Spotlight with most of them in original version with English subtitles.
In addition, we recommend these different films:
- The Song of Sway Lake: Film about a vinyl and the meaning of that object in a family.
- Border: Dystopia awarded the “Prix Un Certain Regard“ at the Cannes festival.
- The Tale: Story about abuse and how our memory can cheat us.
- Safari – Match Me If You Can: Humorous portrait of a dating app in Munich.
- My Brother’s Name Is Robert and He Is an Idiot: The latest film by Philip Gröning, who the festival pay homage to with this and other films of his career.
If you want even more, you can check all the parties around the Filmfest München and dance until the dawn.
The Filmfest München will take place from 28th of June to 7th of July. More information and program at their website.